Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bring it, Martha!

I started a quilt when I was pregnant with Truan. He is now 10 months old.
After a, "Can't find my sewing machine" phase, I dug through my garage, found it, greased the wheels and jumped back in the sewing game.
I had no idea that later that night I would be close to tears because my stripes weren't lining up and my batting was bunched. I quit. I called a few sisters to confirm that sewing is for old ladies, and decided I'd move on with my life.
That night I couldn't stop thinking about it. I laid awake that night, "Sewing shouldn't be THAT hard!", "I'm a stay at home mom, what am I good for if I can't throw together a simple 'Welcome to the world' quilt for my son."
I decided I'd try a different project. Make a fresh start on something new.
And so I did.
Here are the little bags I made for my desk. The first one took me four hours! Yup. The second one took me one. I may not be good and I may not be swift, but I sure as heck can thread a bobbin and sew a tote!
Feel free to relish in my glorious creations.


Bag Number 1


That's right. You saw it. Lining!


Bag Number 2





And here's where they live on my desk. Everyone wave and say "Hello, success!"

Some of you have asked for the pattern. Here's the link to the tutorial that I used. If you make one, post it! I'd love to see how yours turned out as well! http://ayumills.blogspot.com/2008/05/tutorial-fabric-basket.html

7 comments:

Aria said...

hey meens good job! I was skeptical when I heard about it, but seriously they turned out pretty good, I'm jealous. WOO HOO for getting a jump start to your senior citizen years... totally awesome

The Mills Family said...

Do you have a pattern you could share?!! They turned out great! Go Martha!

Brittany and Bud Morrow said...

So dang cute Mina! You did an awesome job!!! I want some! What a great feeling it must be to make beautiful things like that. I can't sew worth anything. The extent of my efforts is sewing a botton back on. Great job Mina!

christina clark said...

good job meensie, yeah i was skeptical too, i tough you were making cheesy easter baskets, i'm really impressed. you showed that quilt a thing or two.

Stevenson and Marissa's Blog said...

That is awesome!! Good job- I am very impressed. I think that looks a lot harder than a quilt.
love ya

Carrie said...

I agree...i think it looks harder than a quilt! but they are stinkin cute! do you have a pattern to share

Diana said...

These are awesome meens! Way to go with the lining, that is something that I have never ventured out to because I know it would end in a ripped up bag and tears. You have inspired me! Oh and apparently I had your old blog on my Reader so I haven't caught up in a while, I love your new blog and I am going to go put your new one on my reader!